Monday, October 13, 2014

Miracle Wound Healer: Procellera

Procellera healed and closed my oozing, gaping, six-day-old wound in six hours. It's thin, flexible, and comfortable like a Band-Aid. It is made of polyester, silver, and zinc to generate electrical currents that accelerate healing.

Everybody should be able to have this stuff on hand, but although you can buy it online, I just learned that it is supposed to be prescribed (I think partly because of the risk of argyria, which is similar to the "miracle" and risks of using colloidal silver, and it hasn't been tested for safety after leaving it in place for more than 28 days). Maybe they don't want to be liable if something is so wrong that your wound should get professional medical treatment.

On a Thursday last month (while pursuing the seemingly futile endeavor of finding a suitable home in DC that can accommodate life in a wheelchair and prosthetics), the front tip of my boot got caught upon a stuck-up stone, and I fell hard onto the road. A man jumped out of his truck running to come help me, as well as a woman with a stroller. My OtterBox largely spared my right hand and saved my phone, my left hand and chin were superficially scraped, but my left knee was a big, bloody mess.

The following Tuesday it was oozing green goo, and the wound presented yellow puss-y bubbles…it wasn't healing and the pain was increasing. I almost went to the emergency room, but, well, I didn't want to be given bad news, like it was an infection, I needed drugs, or I had to be admitted to the hospital. Living at Walter Reed has made me afraid of the word "infection."

The next day, Wednesday, at about 3:30 p.m., Jeremy remembered that we bought a kit of Procellera from the Amputee Coalition Conference last year. He squirted hydrogel on my wound (to fill the holes and moisten the Procellera), then placed a square of Procellera over it, and put Tegaderm on top (to keep the Procellera moist). Because it was my knee, a tricky area to keep a bandage on, we used medical tape around the top and bottom of my bandaged area, and it looked like a ridiculous brace. When I got home at 9:30 p.m. and looked at my wound, I was floored. The degree and speed of healing was impossible! After that night, I used the cheaper and more practical alternative to the Tegaderm: a foot of saran wrap tied closed behind my knee kept the Procellera moist and in place.

The next morning the wound area was pink and closed and unbelievably beautiful. The yellow, puss-y bubbles that had looked infected were gone. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it. I wore the Procellera for another week just to be sure. There is a scar, but it seems like it would have been much worse if I hadn't had the Procellera.

We should all have this supply on hand in our medicine cabinets. Their website has clinical and scientific evidence, case studies, and research.


"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common." John Locke


No comments: